Lemon Olive Oil Ice Cream
500 ml (2 cups) Cream, 35% fat
250 mL (1 cup) Whole milk
250 mL (1 cup) Sugar, granulated
60 mL (4 tbsp) Lemon zest, divided
4 units Egg yolks
125 mL (½ cup) Agrumato extra virgin olive oil - Lemon
0.5 mL (⅛ tsp) Sea salt
Change lemon agrumato olive oil for lemon agrumato oil orange, basil or rosemary.
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the cream, milk, sugar, 45 mL (3 tbsp) lemon zest and sea salt over low heat until microbubbles form. Be careful, do not boil the mixture.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the egg yolks briskly.
3. As tiny bubbles begin to appear in the pan, pour 250 ml (1 cup) of the mixture into the egg yolks and whisk together to incorporate. This is an important step to prevent the egg yolks from cooking and clumping together.
4. Slowly add the rest of the cream mixture to the pan while continuing to stir. Continue to slowly heat the cream and egg mixture over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Go slowly, so as not to cook the eggs. It will take about 15-20 minutes.
5. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large mixing bowl. Slowly stir in lemon juice, olive oil and remaining the 15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon zest.
6. Place this mixture in the refrigerator, without covering the bowl for the first 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, cover the mixture and refrigerate overnight. Cooling the mixture is key to the success of this icing.
With ice cream maker
Follow the instructions for your ice cream maker. If it requires the mixing bowl to be frozen, place the bowl in your freezer the night before.
1. Whip in ice cream maker for 30-35 minutes until mixture resembles soft serve ice cream.
2. Place the mixture in a freezer-safe container (a 9-inch metal loaf pan is a good option). Cover the mixture with waxed paper and place in the freezer for 6 to 8 hours or overnight before serving.
Without ice cream maker
Put the mixture in a freezer safe bowl. Whisk the mixture vigorously for a few minutes every half hour. Repeat for the first 2 hours of this step, then twice more at hourly intervals. Continue, if necessary, until you obtain a soft ice cream.
Serve with a drizzle of lemon agrumato olive oil.
The ice cream goes wonderfully with the chocolate and olive oil cake.
Leave a comment