This recipe features pomegranate balsamic. This is a great make-ahead salad, just perfect for entertaining. It works great as a colorful side dish. It is very versatile since it can be served cold or hot and you can add several variations of finishing ingredients such as nuts, dill, and different infused sea salts.
4 to 6 Beets (red, or a mix of red and golden beets)
1 unit Pomegranate, seeded
180 mL (¾ cup) Greek Feta, crumbled
60mL (¼ cup) Extra virgin olive oil, robust
30 mL (2 tbsp) Pomegranate Dark Balsamic
OR white balsamic Pomegranate & Quince
0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) Sea salt (see recommendations below)
0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) Black pepper, freshly ground
- Boil the whole beets in a large saucepan (see tips below) for 10 minutes or until a fork pierces the beets easily.
- Let the beets cool, then run the skin under cold tap water (it should come off easily).
- Cut the beets into quarters and place them in a large salad bowl.
- Add pomegranate seeds to cut and cooled beets.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the beets, mix well and serve.
When root vegetables, such as beets, are boiled, it is best to begin cooking in a pot of cold water to prevent the outside from cooking faster than the inside. Alternatively, they can be cooked in a pressure cooker. For beets, it is best to cook them without peeling them in order to retain their color.
You can add optional items such as nuts, leafy greens, or fresh orange juice. You can even alternate with different finishing salts like ssea salt infused with lemon dill where the maple smoked sea salt. Fresh dill would also be a delicious alternative that would add another beautiful color to the plate.
**Remember, if you are making the salad, do not add leafy greens before serving.
The perfect pair
Take a look at the chord list for inspiration. To see " The perfect pair! in the "culinary guides" section or click on the link.